The Ambanis live in a $1 billion skyscraper home in Mumbai.
- An Indian businessman recently became the first Asian member of the world’s top 10 richest people, per Fortune.
- Mukesh Ambani is worth an estimated $66.1 billion, making him the ninth-richest person in the world, according to Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index.
- He’s the chairman and majority owner of Reliance Industries, which owns Jio Platforms.
- Ambani’s fortune took a hit in the spring of 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, but his companies have since been thriving.
- The Ambanis live in a 27-story skyscraper in Mumbai, rumored to have cost $1 billion to build, which would make it one of the most expensive homes anywhere in the world.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The list of the world’s top 10 richest people recently got its first member from Asia, Fortune reported: Mukesh Ambani, the richest person in India, is now the ninth-richest person in the world.
Per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Ambani is worth an estimated $66.1 billion.
Ambani is the owner and chairman of Reliance Industries, a massive conglomerate that includes telecom arm Jio Platforms, which has been thriving due to a “flurry” of recent investments, per Fortune. In April, Facebook announced it was investing $5.7 billion in a Jio.
On July 2, the company announced that it was launching JioMeet, a video conferencing service to rival Zoom and Google Meet, per TechCrunch.
The Ambanis made international headlines in 2018 for throwing one of the most lavish wedding celebrations in recent memory, which included a private Beyoncé concert and celebrity guests including Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas, Hillary Clinton, and Arianna Huffington.
The Ambani family home in Mumbai is a 27-story skyscraper that cost an estimated $1 billion to build.
Here’s a look at the Ambani family’s fortune, relationships, friends, and lavish lifestyles.
The Ambani family in India has been called Asia’s richest family by Forbes.
From left to right: Akash Ambani, Anant Ambani, Isha Ambani, Nita Ambani, and Mukesh Ambani.
The family patriarch, Mukesh Ambani, has an estimated net worth of $66.1 billion, making him the ninth-richest person in the world, according to Bloomberg. He is also, as Fortune reported, the first Asian tycoon to number among the world’s 10 richest people.
The Indian family’s massive wealth began with Dhirubhai Ambani, who founded Reliance Industries to manufacture fabrics and textiles.
Dhirubhai Ambani pictured in 2002.